How can I use Fontawesome, icons or emoji in Discourse?

I want to use Fontawesome icons, or other icons, and emoji in Discourse posts. How do I do that?

Emoji

Emoji are built-in, so the simplest way to use them is to type a colon : character. As soon as you do, a menu pops up that let’s you choose an emoji, or show more. If you continue typing characters, the system will filter available emoji that match what you’re typing, so :whi will show :white_check_mark: at the top of the list. If you only type :wh then :whale: will be at the top of the list. Anytime you can hit tab or enter to select the highlighted emoji. If you don’t want an emoji, either type a space after the colon, or just keep typing.

Unicode support

Otherwise, you can access ALL the icons, characters, emoji (new like 🄯, :lobster:) and symbols, and pictographs of Unicode by typing Ctrl+Shift+u (for Unicode) followed by the code for the glyph you want.

Example

:jack_o_lantern: :jack_o_lantern: :jack_o_lantern: :jack_o_lantern: :jack_o_lantern: :jack_o_lantern: Happy Halloween! :jack_o_lantern: :jack_o_lantern: :jack_o_lantern: :jack_o_lantern: :jack_o_lantern: :jack_o_lantern: :jack_o_lantern:

:ribbon: :gift: :birthday: :jack_o_lantern: :christmas_tree: :santa: :fireworks: :tea:

Fontawesome

Although you can use Fontawesome 4.7 icons in some plugins, you can’t access them in regular post content apparently. This does not work:

<ul>
<li><i class="fa fa-wikipedia-w d-icon d-icon-wikipedia-w"></i></li>
<li><i class="fa fa-github d-icon d-icon-github"></i></li>
</ul>

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.